Cialis Tablets (10mg & 20mg)
Levitra Tablets (5mg, 10mg & 20mg)
Sildenafil Tablets (25mg, 50mg & 100mg)
Spedra Tablets (50mg, 100mg & 200mg)
Tadalafil Tablets (10mg & 20mg)
Vardenafil Tablets (5mg, 10mg & 20mg)
Viagra Connect (50mg) Tablets
Viagra Tablets (25mg, 50mg & 100mg)
Advice for Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
Physical causes of ED include:
Psychological causes of ED include:
- Mental conditions - such as stress, anxiety and depression can lead to erectile dysfunction
Medicinal causes of ED include:
Find out more about the causes of erectile dysfunction.
- Your sexual orientation
- Your previous and current sexual relationship
- Your levels of sexual desire or libido
- How long you have been suffering from ED and to what degree you are able to achieve an erection
- Whether you have been able to ejaculate or orgasm
Other more general lines of enquiry will likely include:
- Questions about your overall physical health
- Questions about your overall mental health
- Whether you drink alcohol or take recreational drugs
- What medication you are currently taking
- Questions about your diet, exercise levels and lifestyle
- A blood pressure test
- Height, weight and waist measurements
- A heart rate check
- A blood glucose and lipids test
- An ultrasound
Viagra / Sildenafil:
- 25mg, 50mg & 100mg tablets
- Should be taken an hour before sex and the effects should last between 4-5 hours.
- Any food can potentially slow down the action of Sildenafil. As a
precautionit is best to leave a couple of hours in between eating and taking the dose.
Cialis / Tadalafil:
- 2.5mg, 5mg (once daily tablets), 10mg & 20mg tablets (when required tablets)
- Should be taken 30 minutes before sex and the effects last for around 36 hours.
- Is not affected by food so no restrictions apply.
Read more about Tadalafil vs Cialis.
Levitra / Vardenafil:
- 5mg, 10mg & 20mg tablets
- Should be taken 25 minutes – 1 hour before sex and the effects last for 4-5 hours.
- 50mg, 100mg & 200mg tablets
- Can take effect in as little as 15 minutes and the effects last for 4-6 hours.
- 300μg applicators
- Can take effect within 5 - 30 minutes.
- Unaffected by food, alcohol or other medicines.
Headaches and flushing are the most common side effects of Sildenafil (Viagra), Cialis and Levitra.
Compare ED Treatments
|TREATMENT||INFORMATION||BEST FOR||PRESCRIPTION-ONLY||STRENGTH||ACTIVE INGREDIENT||HOW IT WORKS||DURATION||PRICE||MANUFACTURER|
||A popular, long-acting treatment for erectile dysfunction, often dubbed ‘the weekend pill’.||Men seeking a long-lasting ED treatment||Yes||10mg, 20mg||Tadalafil||Opens the blood vessels to the penis and helps to produce and maintain an erection.||36 hours||From £9.12 per tablet||Lilly|
|Levitra||Men over 50 and men with diabetes||Yes||5mg, 10mg, 20mg||Vardenafil||10 hours||From £5.50 per tablet||Bayer|
|Sildenafil||Men seeking a cheaper alternative to Viagra||Yes||25mg, 50mg, 100mg||Sildenafil citrate||4-5 hours||From £2.00 per tablet||Various|
|Spedra||Men seeking a fast acting ED treatment||Yes||50mg, 100mg, 200mg||Avanafil||4-5 hours||From £4.50 per tablet||Menarini|
||Men seeking a long-lasting ED treatment||Yes||10mg, 20mg||Tadalafil||Opens the blood vessels to the penis and helps to produce and maintain an erection.||36 hours||From £2.00 per tablet||Various|
|Viagra||Men seeking to achieve and sustain an erection for 4-5 hours||Yes||25mg, 50mg, 100mg||Sildenafil citrate||4-5 hours||From £5.62 per tablet||Pfizer|
|Viagra Connect||Men who don't have a prescription||No||50mg||Sildenafil citrate||4-5 hours||From £4.00 per tablet||Pfizer|
|Vitaros||Men who want a fast acting ED treatment, and/or who have found tablets to be ineffective||Yes||300mcg||Alprostadil||1-2 hours||~£15 per application||Ferring|
Treating Psychosexual Causes
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Reducing your intake of fatty and salty foods
- Giving up smoking and recreational drugs
- Reducing your intake of alcohol
- Reducing your stress levels
- Participating in a healthy amount of physical exercise
- Quitting smoking
- Losing any extra weight and maintaining a healthy diet
- Moderating the amount of alcohol you drink
- Taking regular exercise
- Reducing your stress levels
Erectile Dysfunction is linked to sexual attraction
Erectile Dysfunction is when you can NEVER get an erection
- You cannot achieve an erection at all.
- You can achieve a mild erection but it’s not hard enough to enter your partner.
- You can achieve an erection but you cannot maintain it throughout sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction only occurs in old men
The biggest myth that stalks erectile dysfunction, especially in pop-culture, is that treatments such as Viagra cause an erection. In truth, this is not the case. Without the necessary arousal or sexual stimulation an erection cannot be achieved or maintained. The active ingredients in the three main treatments (Sildenafil, Tadalafil and Vardenafil) don’t automatically provide you with an erection. What they actually do is open the veins allowing blood to flow to the penis more freely and effectively when properly stimulated. Essentially, you could take Sildenafil or Tadalafil and still not achieve an erection if lacking the necessary sexual arousal.
Where do these myths come from?
- You should feel embarrassed or ashamed about requiring treatment.
- Using erectile dysfunction tablets is a cheat to bypass a lack of attraction.
- Taking a tablet will automatically provide an erection.
- Only old men require them.
- Changes to diet (cutting down alcohol and fat consumption)
- Stopping smoking
- Reducing stress
- Vaccum devices (penis pumps)
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) FAQs
Spedra works as quickly as 15 minutes and last up to 6 hours.
- Nasal congestion
For a full list of side effects, see each individual treatment page.
At The Independent Pharmacy, we display all of our regulating bodies clearly on the website including the CQC & GPhC. We are an NHS pharmacy and have a clickable link to Trustpilot, the independent review site, on every page to allow customers to check out what real people are saying about us.
We will always ensure any consultation through The Independent Pharmacy is safe, completely confidential and follows all the best practice & legal requirements from all UK regulatory bodies.